Searchability

Thursday, September 2, 2021

Weakling - (1999) Dead As Dreams Demo CS


Previously, I was a roadie for a band called A Minor Forest, from 1995 until the band broke up. However, I met the band in 1994 shortly after riding a 3 speed bicycle from Olympia, WA to Minot, ND. I lived in the Minot Collective Cultural Centre, an all ages collectively run music venue, rehearsal space (in basement) and general community center located in downtown Minot. Previously, it had been an Elks lodge, with a beautiful wooden bar intact. I was 21 in '94.

Andee Connors was the drummer, he also worked at Aquarius Records (and would later on release music under the tUMULt label name). AMF dudes & I fast forward to 1998 SF venue called Covered Wagon to see Mayhem play their first SF (America?!) show, and Weakling was going to open up for them. I remember there being SO much excitement in the air, outside the venue & vividly recall feeling like I was in a John Hughes film, very uncomfortable as everything about me (at least in my mind) screamed "fag/ weirdo" in the late 90's.
 
It literally reminded me of Port Hueneme High School in 1988. The heavy metal dudes, the hair, denim, studs, leather jackets, addidas... flashback. Weakling played, on time, during daylight. They sounded great & loud, with very long, riffy/ head bang moments. The songs seeming epic-ly long, that would never end, with synth sound very prominent and intense drumming. It was awesome. I was a huge fan of the C4AM95 – III 2xLP back then as well, and they shared a guitar player.
 
Anyhoot, years forward.. I find this tape in John's closet. I made probably 20 photocopies of the cover & dubbed tapes expertly. Sent 10 copies to Dead Gods noise store in Brooklyn, NY. Somehow, one got sold on Discogs for $150 but DG sold em for $1! What? Miracles... ICP.
 
Private Release ‎– none

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice / no spam...